At FINE+RARE, we spend a lot of our time talking about wine. From advising our customers on the next addition to their cellar, to chatting to producers on vineyard tours and conducting tastings at HQ, we’re full things to say about the fruit of the vine.
But we’re not the only ones. Take a look at these top twelve wine quotes (a caseful!) from various skilled wordsmiths.
1. The wine-cup is the little silver well, Where truth, if truth there be, doth dwell. –William Shakespeare
2. Nothing makes the future look so rosy as to contemplate it through a glass of Chambertin. – Napoleon Bonaparte
3. [on tasting his first sip of champagne] “Come quickly! I am tasting stars!” – Dom Perignon
4. Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. – Aristophanes
5. Wine cheers the sad, revives the old, inspires the young, makes weariness forget his toil. – Lord Byron
6. Pleasure without Champagne is purely artificial – Oscar Wilde
7. My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne. – John Maynard Keynes
8. Nothing more excellent or valuable than wine was every granted by the gods to man. – Plato
9. There is not the hundredth part of the wine consumed in this kingdom that there ought to be. Our foggy climate wants help. – Jane Austen
10. Wine is sunlight held together by water. – Galileo
11. Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. – Benjamin Franklin
12. Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need – a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing. – Jerome K. Jerome
Want to talk to us about wine? Get in touch at email@example.com.
Got a quote we’ve missed? Tweet us @fineandrare
Take a look at our 21 Weird and Wonderful Wine Facts